Re: Notation on page 2 of same score

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Notation on page 2 of same score
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2020 21:02:37 +0200

Hi Lydia,

1.  I want to put a note in the upper right hand corner of page 2 of the same score without

going through rigamarole of copying a new file just for the last system of the score.

There must be an easy way to include an annotation on p. 2.  I have included the note  on p.2 [Kievan Resurrection Lord I Call Tone 1 Verse 4] by using a cut and paste method,

but there must be an easy way to simply incorporate that command within the lilypond file.
I do not have enough time right now to try and understand what you mean by that, sorry.

2.  Also - how can I bring the words in a system closer together? Example in 3rd system “Sing” in gladness. I would

like “in gladness" to be brought closer to “Sing”.

This requires some thought, since obviously there are very few notes in that line, and Lilypond is smart enough to give more space to the half notes than to the quarter notes. Where do you want the space to go that you do _not_ want to have between "Sing" and "in gladness"?

Do you insist on having line breaks only at barlines? If not, then the task becomes much easier. This is what I did in the attached example.

3. I wish the line for the third word in the cadence would extend for the 4 notes “lov — er” of man.

This reason the line is so short is that your lyrics are aligned to the alto voice, and Lilypond stretches the line (roughly) along note heads. (But in the alto voice, there is only one note, so the line ends immediately.)

Hence, the easiest solution would be to assign the lyrics to the soprano voice. If you're not fine with that, one might resort to tricks involving invisible noteheads etc. But for the moment, I went with assigning the lyrics to the soprano line.

When you answer my querries, please remember that some of us are not computer language

savy. Please include the example of the complete file for me. I appreciate that. :-)

I also cleaned up your file a little for you. Do try and compare your and my version thoroughly, chances are that you can understand much about Lilypond when doing so.

Yours is a bit of a hodgepodge of templates in various code styles for very old Lilypond versions. Today, we can do things a little bit easier.

Lukas