Re: Request for East Asian emphasis points

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Request for East Asian emphasis points
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 15:43:14 +1000

Gosh, a very LARGE can of wriggling worms, and very interesting worms
indeed. A question, say you restrict yourself to emphasis dots for
simplicity, does OpenType support this at the moment? I am unaware of
that. Else, adding that to lilypond seems like a big project.

I am a serious student of Chinese, but I personally have never had
application for emphasis dots. From Wikipedia:

Emphasis mark: For emphasis, Chinese uses emphasis marks instead of
italic type. Each emphasis mark is a single dot placed under each
character to be emphasized (for vertical text, the dot is placed to
the right hand side of each character). Although frequent in printed
matter, emphasis marks are rare online, as they are not supported by
most word processors, and support in HTML is in development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_punctuation

Since these markings would presumably be infrequent in your scores,
sticking with dots for the moment, you could always make a markup
consisting of the character in a column with a dot/etc glyph. Roll
your own. Tedious yes. You could write a markup function to do it (ask
me, if you think this is viable). In fact, I can't think of any other
way of doing it at the moment.

Do you need an extensive range of Japanese emphasis points and techniques?

Hmmm. I suspect opening lilypond development to the very vast ocean of
CJK typography may not be on any close horizon for some time.

Andrew