Re: Horizontal positioning of a tempo marking on a full-measure rest

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Horizontal positioning of a tempo marking on a full-measure rest
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 10:33:41 +0200

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 at 08:27, Jun Tamura <j.tamura@me.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there an easy way to align a tempo marking on a full-measure rest at the beginning of the measure?  In the following example, the “rit.” and “Tempo I.” are aligned to the beginning of the measures on the score and the violin part but their horizontal placements on the cello part look somewhat strange.

Hello,

Tempo markings are (correctly) aligned where a first note *would be*. To illustrate this look at your first example with the "Metronome_mark_engraver" in both staves.

violinMusic = \relative c' {
  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
  \tempo \markup \italic "rit." g a b c |
  \tempo "Tempo I." c b a g |
}

celloMusic = \relative c {
  \clef bass
  \tempo "Allegro" c4 d e f |
  \tempo \markup \italic "rit." R1 |
  \tempo "Tempo I." R1
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \remove "Metronome_mark_engraver"
    \remove "Staff_collecting_engraver"
  }
  \context {
    \Staff
    \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver"

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = Violin
    } {
      \violinMusic
    }
    \new Staff \with {
      instrumentName = Cello
    } {
      \celloMusic

Maybe you think the cello part looks strange because the measures with full measure rest are compressed horizontally. Does it look better for you with increased MMR length?

\score {
  \new Staff \with {
    instrumentName = Cello
  } {
    \celloMusic
  }
  \layout {
    \context {
      \Voice
      \override MultiMeasureRest.minimum-length = #12

Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <x.scheuer@gmail.com>