Consecutive text-spanners next to teach other?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: Consecutive text-spanners next to teach other?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:42:25 +1000

My use of a text-spanner is to indicate that the note is held while other notes are played, and is indicated by a square bracket (like a mensural ligature, but below the staff).

I am using

\override TextSpanner.direction = #DOWN
\override TextSpanner.style = #'line
\override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = \markup { \draw-line #'(0 . 1) }
\override TextSpanner.bound-details.right.text = \markup { \draw-line #'(0 . 1) }

which works, except that sometimes one spanner ends, and another starts, on the same note:

g \stopTextSpan \startTextSpan

What happens is that the second spanner is typeset below the first one.  But what I want is for the two spanners to be aligned horizontally, with a small space between the finish of the first spanner, and the start of the second.

What sort of tweaks can I use to make that happen?

Thanks,
Alasdair