Re: Inserting a "hard" white space?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Inserting a "hard" white space?
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 20:51:52 -0700

On 2020-09-09 7:27 pm, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
I have created a few expression marks (for some early 18th century music I'm trying to typeset) which I put into place with carefully adjusted x and
y offsets.  The trouble is that Lilypond doesn't take these marks into
account when spacing out notes and bars, and sometimes the expression mark
is written over by a bar line.

This could point to issues with how you are defining expression marks. Ideally, you should prefer an approach that gives LilyPond enough information to make the appropriate decisions regarding spacing, so that the BarLine and custom expression mark do not collide.

What is the approved or simplest way of adding extra space after a bar
line? Note that I don't need to add extra space after every bar line, just
occasionally.

Consider the following:

%%%%
\version "2.20.0"

mx = -\tweak extra-offset #'(-1.5 . 4.35)
     _\markup \sans x

fx = -\tweak font-size #0
     -\tweak X-offset #-1.5
     -\tweak Y-offset #0
      \finger \markup \normal-text \vcenter \sans x

{ | b'1
  | b'4 \mx b'2.
  | \tweak extra-spacing-width #'(-1.5 . 0)
    b'4 \mx b'2.
  | b'4 \fx b'2. }
%%%%

\mx is defined using a TextScript grob that is manually re-positioned via extra-offset, whereas \fx uses the Fingering grob that is positioned relative to the NoteHead via X-offset and Y-offset.

To avoid the collision between the BarLine and \mx, we can \tweak the extra-spacing-width of the NoteHead to ask LilyPond to reserve more space before the note. No such \tweaking is needed for \fx to avoid collision.

-- Aaron Hill