Re: unable to install version 2.0

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: unable to install version 2.0
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 14:35:40 -0500

On Fri 04 Sep 2020 at 14:09:06 (-0400), Tom Swan wrote:
>    I copied and executed script "lilypond-2.20.0-1.linux-64.sh" from the
> Downloads page. It seems to run but afterwards, "lilypond --version" still
> reports GNU LilyPond 2.18.2. What am I doing wrong? Also tried apt-get
> upgrade lilypond, which reports  "lilypond is already the newest version
> (2.18.2-12build1)" so now I'm stuck. How do I get the newest release?

Please don't post HTML, particularly without any text version.

If you executed   sh lilypond-2.20.0-1.linux-64.sh   it will
presumably have responded with:

  You are about to install LilyPond in /home/tom/lilypond
  A script in /home/tom/bin will be created as a shortcut.

  Press ^C to abort, or Enter to proceed.

Typing   lilypond --version   will run the version in your PATH, which
is unchanged (see ouput from apt-get). Most people won't want
~/lilypond in their PATH (along with directories for other "foreign"
software), so conventionally they put ~/bin in their PATH, with either
the binary (when simple/small) or a script placed in ~/bin. LP does
the latter (typically four scripts plus eight symlinks).

Here's my PATH:

$ echo $PATH
/home/david/bin:/home/david/.local/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
$

How to set it? That depends on how you login. If you run X with
startx, then it's simple, put this into your ~/.bash_profile
or ~/.profile or ~/.bash_login, whichever you use. ( For Desktop
users, it's probably somewhere else.)

  export PATH="$HOME/bin:$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"

Just take care not to have any double colons, or have any
colons at the beginning or end of the PATH.

Cheers,
David.