MIDI Output from Pitched and Unpitched Percussion on the Same Staff?

From: brin solomon
Subject: MIDI Output from Pitched and Unpitched Percussion on the Same Staff?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:45:06 -0400

Hi all,

I'm engraving a percussion part that has the player switch from vibraphone to suspended cymbal. I can use the \stopStaff and \startStaff commands to change the number of staff lines and make the layout look like what I want, but I'm having trouble with getting the MIDI output, since it seems that unpitched percussion sounds are only available in the DrumStaff context. Is there a way to switch from a Staff to a DrumStaff mid-score for the purposes of MIDI output, or do I need to go in and write out two additional percussion parts, one pitched and one unpitched, to use for the MIDI version?

Many thanks,
brin