Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 15:58:26 +0200

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:35 AM Valentin Villenave <valentin@villenave.net> wrote:
On 6/25/20, Paolo Prete <paolopr976@gmail.com> wrote:
> The lack of a cautionary pedal on a bracket could be seen as an enhancement
> only in a self-referential context, which doesn't make sense to me. A
> proper way to proceed is to check what modern professional engravers do
> with it, and check as a consequence if Lilypond is coherent with them (->
> common practice)

Greetings Paolo,
determining whether this issue is a “Defect” or an “Enhancement” is
largely inconsequential; as Jean said (and we should be thankful to
him for opening a tracker page on your behalf, by the way), that does
not imply a different priority.

That being said, can you please document your claims? As a pianist
myself (and although I did specialize in contemporary music), I can’t
remember _any_ score where I’ve seen a pedal reminder after a system
break, off the top of my head. But that’s just me.

Hi Valentine,

as I said before, I can't document my claim, of course. Therefore I asked for feedback.
I said to Kieren that "I am not aware of [professional] scores that do not use it" (a bracket without a cautionary string), then I asked for examples, which would be useful for me.
And then I added, in another post (I quote myself):

"I would ask, instead: "how many scores published by professional engravers do use a pedal bracket with a cautionary text? "
AFAIK, 100%, not 1%.
But this is what I know, and I could be wrong. Then I asked for counterexamples (to Kieren, in the previous post).
If I'm right, then the pedal brackets are pretty unusable, at the moment, without a hack.
If I'm wrong, I agree there should not be any sense of urgency, as you wrote."

Here is what I also wrote:

"A proper way to proceed is to check what modern professional engravers do with it, and check as a consequence if Lilypond is coherent with them (-> common practice) "

That's all. The pedal bracket is a relatively recent practice. I'm convinced that not writing a cautionary string would be a really bad practice in *any* professional score, for many reasons, for any spanner.
But the fact that I consider it a bad practice (and I add: a really bad one) has nothing to do with the urgency of fixing the issue. This urgency can be evaluated with a sort of average on the modern scores.

Hope this clarifies.

Best,