Re: Better support for Bravura in LilyPond

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Better support for Bravura in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 11:16:10 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 25.06.2020, 04:37 -0400 schrieb Daniel Benjamin
Miller:
> You're right, it does essentially replicate Dorico's style.
>
> I don't think LilyPond should change what its default style is;

I think what you suggested with this wasn't to change the defaults. But
I really like the idea of having choice. It is good that out-of-the-box
scores are immediately recognizble (although I have the impression that
the *text* font is even more notable in this respect).

But people shouldn't be limited to that "personality" but have the
option to tweak the output to what they like. Generally speaking scores
shouldn't necessarily have the personality of the program but that of
the author/editor/publisher. Abraham Lee's efforts in making
alternative fonts properly available at all, and his collection of
fonts, was a huge step forware IMHO, and I really hope that Owen Lamb's
work of making LilyPond SMuFL-compliant will make that possibility of
choice even more fundmental.

Urs