Re: Better support for Bravura in LilyPond

From: Daniel Benjamin Miller
Subject: Re: Better support for Bravura in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 04:37:26 -0400

You're right, it does essentially replicate Dorico's style.

I don't think LilyPond should change what its default style is; I don't like the Emmentaler font myself (Simon Tatham put it best, though I actually feel the same about Gonville: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/gonville/ - "I designed it because Lilypond's standard font (Feta) was not to my taste: I found it to be (variously) over-ornate, strangely proportioned, and subtly not like the music I was used to reading. Music set in Feta looks to me like strangely stylised music; music set in Gonville just looks to me like music, so I can read it without being distracted so much.)

But I also think that we should not try to change the defaults. But I also think that almost nobody actually cares much about music typography, really: only LilyPond and Dorico have really put effort into creating their default fonts and appearances; MuseScore borrows its fonts from both, and Finale and Sibelius' fonts are really clearly not that seriously taken.

LilyPond is not static, but it should not really change in terms of its defaults either. Much like TeX, we should not change the default fonts, in my opinion (though of course Emmentaler and Feta are being expanded as new features are added to LilyPond, and slight tweaks and improvements are all well and good).