Re: Fine tuning of MetronomeMark's expression

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Fine tuning of MetronomeMark's expression
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 01:41:53 +0200

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 10:44 PM Valentin Villenave <valentin@villenave.net> wrote:
On 6/19/20, Paolo Prete <paolopr976@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way, for the above metronome indication " (quarter = 120) "  of
> the above MetronomeMark to apply the same font parameters (\abs-fontsize,
> \bold etc.) specified in the \markup _expression_?

Well, you can always redefine a Scheme function (see the definition of
metronome-markup in scm/translation-functions.scm)...  That being
said, it might be easier to go through an override instead of putting
stuff into the markup block:

{
  \override Score.MetronomeMark.font-size = #4
  \tempo  "Allegro" 4 = 120 c'
}

Hi Valentin,

Unfortunately:

1) \override Score.MetronomeMark affects the note symbol too (and this is not good, because the note's font is different and should be independent of the attributes of the remaining text).

2) The scheme function to be redefined seems to involve too much code to be modified (I see there are (make-smaller-markup ...) and (make-note-by-number-markup ...) ) where I have to put hands.

I could be wrong, but it seems that Lily's API for MetronomeMark hides visible details (---> the metronome note) that should be overridable.
From what I see, correct me again if I'm wrong, it is the name MetronomeMark which is wrong and causes these problems to the API.
To be more precise, I think that what is currently called "MetronomeMark" should be called "TempoMark", so to have something like:

TempoMark.text

AND

TempoMark.metronome

I'm going to open a ticket for this.
Meanwhile, is there a fix for the problem?
I just found Harm's override, but I still wonder if is there a shorter/easier solution

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/tempo-how-to-remove-parentheses-around-metronome-marks-td170530.html

Thanks for your help!

Best,