Re: Free rhythm in part of a bar

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re: Free rhythm in part of a bar
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 16:45:20 +0100

David,

No, because i was trying to produce (1) a minimal example for the case that the free rhythm passage ends at the bar end, and (2) in words only, a hypothetical example where it doesn't. I obviously wasn't clear enough about the two cases.

So here's a rather longer one. the top score is a development of the original example, the bottom one shows what happens in my second case, where the final crochets of each staff should align. In both cases the bass line counting goes wrong.

I've tried putting the free rhythm section in parallel with a silent note, with the intention of making sure that there was a proper duration for the section. This gives interesting results: the accompaniment gives a barcheck error even though the durations of the notes in that staff are correct. If you comment out the melody line there's no error. So there's obviously some interaction between the free rhythm section and other staves. Also, if you replace the final 'e' in the melody by 'R1' the rest goes in the wrong place.

\language "english"

\version "2.19.83"

\score {
 <<

\new Staff {
   \time 4/4
   {
%%{
    c'4 4 4 4 |
    4 4 << {\cadenzaOn d'8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 \cadenzaOff} s2 >> \bar "|"
    e'1
%}

 \new Staff {
  \time 4/4
  \clef "bass"
  {
    c1
    c4 4 r2\fermata |
    c1

\score {
 <<
   \new Staff {
   \time 4/4
   {
%%{
    c'4 4 4 4 |
    4 4 << {\cadenzaOn d'8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 \cadenzaOff} s4 >> g'4  \bar "|"
    e'1
%}
 \new Staff {
  \time 4/4