Re: How to pass a fraction as a parameter for a Scheme function

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: How to pass a fraction as a parameter for a Scheme function
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 19:28:36 +0200

Alternately, you can use the rational? type predicate so the value is
numeric.  However, you will then need to use Scheme syntax for the
input: #1/16 instead of 1/16.

Thank you and thanks to David.
When I looked at the list of predicates...;

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/predefined-type-predicates.it.html

... I have been misled by the term "rational". In fact, in the italian language the term "rational" (---> razionale)  means an irreducible fraction of two coprime integers, while in the english language it means a number that can be expressed as the quotient or fraction p/q of two integers.
For example, "2/4" is not rational in italian, but it is rational in english. Then I did not even consider that predicate.
I suggest the italian maintainer of the translation to keep note of this ambiguity.

Best,

-- Aaron Hill