Re: A weird spacing problem

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: A weird spacing problem
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 20:16:56 +0200

Am Mi., 3. Juni 2020 um 19:27 Uhr schrieb Robert Blackstone
<blackstone.robert@gmail.com>:

> Hi Valentin,
>
> Thanks for your interest in my problem
>
> The piece, as you can see in the screenshot, is a piano score with two voices
> in each staff and occasionally a third voice by << { } \\ { } >> or
> \partcombine.
> I triple-checked my source code, first by hiding successively each voice, and
> see what happens, and then to comment out and successively reopen all lines,
> 55 in each voice,  in my score. Compared with the original everything is OK
> except the passage (only 3 bars) shown in the screenshot. Thereafter, in the
> last 7 bars of the piece everything is again perfect.
>
> Overall there are several instances where I needed "\once \override
> NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #x" , and a few "\once\override
> NoteColumn.X-offset = #x”.
>
> I use LilyPond 2_19_83-1 with TeXShop as the editor. Usually it works
> perfectly.
>
> I include the problematic part of the score. It is certainly not a MWE but it
> works for me and it shows the problem. It also shows that its origin does not
> ly in the previous bars.
>
> Thanks again for your interest.
>
> Best regards,
> Robert
>

> On 3 Jun 2020, at 14:14, Valentin Villenave <valentin@villenave.net> wrote:
>
> On 6/3/20, Robert Blackstone <blackstone.robert@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’m vainly struggling with a weird spacing problem
>

> Hi Robert,
> Unless you post some code, it’s gonna be difficult to help you. You
> should first double check your source files in case there’s some
> \override affecting the DotColumn object somewhere?
>
> Cheers,
> -- V.

Hi Robert,

there are a lot unrelated warnings cluttering the log.
I'd not use pitched rests but normal rests with an override for
staff-position. Also, \voiceXxx
Though, that's unrelated.

The culprit seems to be your
\override NoteColumn.X-offset = #-4
(and some forgotten(?) \once ... )

A minimal would be:
<< { \once \override NoteColumn.X-offset = #-4 d'2. } { \voiceThree b4 } >>

The negative X-offset will push all other stuff to the left including the dots.

Cheers,
  Harm

Makes no sense to me