Re: Minimal horizontal space for melismata

From: Peter Crighton
Subject: Re: Minimal horizontal space for melismata
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:56:42 +0100

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 at 09:34, Torsten Hämmerle <address@hidden> wrote:
For rhythmic alignment without noteheads, beams, accidentals, etc. consuming
space, the relatively new
*  NullVoice*
has been invented.

This, however, still doesn't quite solve your problem yet as other elements
still take up horizontal space.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of NullVoice. This is better than what I had before, but yes, it solves not every case.

I've come to a solution that works with your example, but, I'll have to
admit that if it had been "i -- met" instead of "a -- met", a tiny gap after
the slim letter "i" still couldn't have been avoided that way.

In addition, longer melismata and note lengths lead to hyphens/gaps.

Now, I strangely wasn’t able to recreate it in the MWE, but in the real-world score I’m working on including this snippet fixed it, even for the shortest possible syllable “i”: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2019-05/msg00389.html
There is a very minor drawback, in that the snippet adds a barely noticeable space after a multisyllabic word. I opened a different thread about this a few days ago, maybe a fix will be found.

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de