Re: lyp

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: lyp
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 15:16:04 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 17.03.2020, 07:10 -0700 schrieb Sami Amiris:
> Hello, and thank you both for your replies.
>
> Yes, it is the lyp program as described above by Mr. Urs Liska. I
> have a
> Fedora 31 system and a Windows system as well, but right now I am
> using the
> Fedora one. I use vim and call lilypond from the command line - the
> program
> gives me the output logs in the terminal.
>
> As I have installed lyp, I thought to have a \require "bravura" and a
> \bravuraOn as required.
>
> When using the lyp-installed lilypond 2.20, it fails to produce a
> pdf,
> producing this message instead:
>
> "
> Converting to `experiment.pdf'...
> warning: `(gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595.28
> -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841.89 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE
> -dBATCH
> -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dAutoRotatePages=/None -dPrinted=false
> -sOutputFile=experiment.pdf -c.setpdfwrite -f/tmp/lilypond-rX8aP4)'
> failed
> (139)
>
> fatal error: failed files: "/tmp/lyp/wrappers/experiment.ly"
> "

All I can say at this point is that this reminds me of an issue we had
earlier which is due to a version mismatch of GhostScript. This can
also be an issue when choosing a LilyPond installation from
Frescobaldi.

When you install LilyPond from the download on lilypond.org it will
create a wrapper script that properly sets the environment for the
LilyPond version to be used.
In Frescobaldi, when you choose a LilyPond binary this is not the case,
and there can be mismatches when LilyPond expects specific versions of
a library but the operating system defaults to another. (I thought we
had fixed that issue but just recently I'm experiencing it again, with
2.20).

What I mean is that lyp may also run into that trap not to properly set
up the invocation for LilyPond, which can lead to the problem you
experience when the system's default Ghostscript version doesn't matcht
the one LilyPond expects.

I suggest you raise this as an issue on the lyp Github tracker, maybe
including the paragraphs above as a hint to a possible reason.

Urs