Re: figured bass in staff context

From: Robert Blackstone
Subject: Re: figured bass in staff context
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 19:43:48 +0100

Hi Derek,

I entered your attachment, Telemann-Lied-Test.ly in  my LilyPond Editor: TeXShop-3_61_Lilypond.app, and typeset it. (I never use Frescobaldi)
The result looks perfect.

So first of all I want to congratulate you with your first LilyPond-score.

Did you transcribe it from the facsimile of Telemann’s own print, as available on IMSLP, or from a modern version?

Guess what. Telemann’s “Singe-, Spiel, und Generalbaß-Übungen” was also my first LilyPond-project in 2015. So I’m familiar with the difficulties in the facsimile, in particular the clutter on some pages.

About your problem with the BC line: “The problem is that the alignment is off (all single figures should be one level lower)”.
I do not understand what you mean by this. As far as I know, in your present version it is the standard way of notation. It is also conform Telemann’s own score.
Or do you want the BC-line below the bass staff? That would be easy to do, but it would interfere with the numbers of the remarks

About entering Telemann’s remarks underneath the score, what you did is OK. I used the same way.

There are a few things in which your version differs from Telemann’s original, in which: a) the vocal line is not beamed  and b) some of his chords have two voices  (in bars 18, 21, 23 and 33.)
It is no big deal though.

One more thing: My score differs in many ways from yours. For instance I never use relative c or something like it. Always the exact pitches. The same with note values: each note has its proper value. Every bar has its own line. It is of great help for spotting errors.

Another advantage of TeXShop is that I can use a textexpander, Typinator, for complicated commands, shortcuts, overrides, tweaks, like
“\once \override NoteColumn #'force-hshift = #x” or “_\markup {\line {\concat { \dynamic f  }\italic {  rit. }  }}”
In TeXShop it is also very easy to find the beginning and end of slurs.

If you’re interested I can send you privately my score of
Telemann-SSGb-13-Die_vergessene_Phyllis.

Best regards,

Robert Blackstone