Re: Partcombine without slurs or ties?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Partcombine without slurs or ties?
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 16:09:13 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Sa., 22. Feb. 2020 um 15:45 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> > \partcombine may create several Voices. Which may not continue the
>> > initial one. Thus your overrides are not preserved.
>> > Same here:
>> >
>> > {
>> >   \omit Slur
>> >   b4( b)
>> >   <<
>> >         { c'( c') }
>> >         \\
>> >         { a( a) }
>> >   >>
>> > }
>> >
>> > Use \omit _Staff_.Slur/Tie instead.
>>
>> Not going to help since the Tie_engraver and Slur_engraver live at Voice
>> level and won't see those overrides.
>
> Well, yes. Though
>
> {
>   \omit Staff.Slur
>   b4( b)
>   <<
>         { c'( c') }
>         \\
>         { a( a) }
>   >>
> }
>
> works as wished.

Ah yes, stupid of me: Slur and Tie stencils are established _globally_,
so since the Voice does not have stencils of its own, it does see the
Staff-wide stencils.

At any rate, it might be a nice side project to see whether our defaults
are established as high as possible.

For example, if we have different Slur/Tie shapes behavior for
Tablature, that should be established at TabStaff level rather than at
TabVoice level.  Looking at ly/engraver-init.ly and the kind of stuff
done with overrides at TabStaff/TabVoice level, that seems to be
preaching to the ChoirStaff: that already is how things are organised.

>> I think specifically with respect to piano music where the
>> Voice/Slur/Tie relation is a lot more fluid we will eventually have to
>> come up with something more flexible with regard to how properties and
>> engravers are tied at the context level.

But I maintain that this remains a good idea.

--
David Kastrup