Partcombine without slurs or ties?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Partcombine without slurs or ties?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 17:39:55 +0000

In the following example:
8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><
\version "2.18.0"
MI = { \time 3/4
         \override Voice.Slur.stencil = ##f
         \override Voice.Tie.stencil = ##f
          %comment out the next bar to suppress the slur and tie

          c'8~ c' c' c' c' c'
          c'8( a'8) c'' c''8 c'' c''8
     }
MII = { \time 3/4
         \override Voice.Slur.stencil = ##f
         \override Voice.Tie.stencil = ##f
          %comment out the next bar to suppress the slur and tie

         c'8~ c' c' c' c' c'
         c'8~ c' c' c' c' c'
      }
\score {
  \new Staff <<
               \partcombine
               \MI
               \MII

       }

I find the slurs and ties are drawn despite no stencil. Stranger still,
the *are* suppressed if I comment out the first bars.

Any ideas?

Richard Shann