Re: layout doesn't work as I expected

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: layout doesn't work as I expected
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 07:48:30 -0600

On Tue 04 Feb 2020 at 01:10:27 (-0700), fcorvi wrote:
> I am moving the first steps into lilypond and I am currently trying to
> create a musical sheet for percussions.
> I would like to be able to specify different measure lenghts for each staff
> independently and I am doing this in the layout options.
> What is happening in that when I put the layout option after my score it
> doesn't affects nothing at all, when I put it after the pdf file will not be
> generated.

With no
  \midi { \tempo 4 = 120 }
at the end of the score, the default is to generate a PDF.
If you add only a \midi, like here, then you only generate MIDI.
So what you need is:
  \midi { \tempo 4 = 120 }
  \layout { }
which will generate both MIDI and PDF.

The \layout { } in this position will use all the global layouts
that have accumulated (those layouts not inside \score blocks).

You can also add local layout options for just the one \score by adding
them here:

  \midi { \tempo 4 = 120 }
  \layout { … local layout options for just this score … }

Cheers,
David.