Re: Distance of a grob from its reference point

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Distance of a grob from its reference point
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 22:57:25 +0100

I quote Carl's words:

"So offset applies to the *estimated* position, and then the spacing engine works on the offset+estimated postion and ends up putting things where it thinks they belong"

I checked that with the examples made before and it seems absolutely true.

Then: you have to offset an estimated position. How could you do that if you don't know this estimated position?

Best,

On 2020-01-15 1:21 pm, Paolo Prete wrote:
> Without a proper behavior of the "\offset" command you cannot do nor
> the
> automatic 2) placement, nor a fine tuning.

What is "proper behavior" for \offset to you?  It is my understanding
\offset works precisely as documented, but that is a worthless metric if
the documented behavior is not what people need of a tool.

-- Aaron Hill