Re: QtWebEngine vs. Ubuntu 16.04

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: QtWebEngine vs. Ubuntu 16.04
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:44:36 +0100

Hi everybody,

On 28.12.19 09:46, Urs Liska wrote:
Before upgrading to a newer OS it might be an option to use a current Qt/PyQt downloaded or compiled from somewhere. @Simon you could do us a huge favor by exploring that possibility and providing information about it for the Wiki.

This is sort of a two part question, since I’m unsure whether to just upgrade (i.e. reinstall) the OS or figure out installing QtWebEngine in 16.04.

I want to spend as little time as possible on maintaining/upgrading the OS. So I’m reluctant to ditch 16.04 just yet. Should I bite the bullet and take the time to install 18.04? Does it make sense to skip 18 and wait for 20.04 in April?

If I should try within 16.04, here’s some sites I checked out on a brief search:

<https://askubuntu.com/questions/912830/libqt5webengine5-for-16-04> – the ppa mentioned there doesn’t exist anymore <https://forum.qt.io/topic/83394/installing-qt5-webengine-ubuntu-16-04> – the answers here seem to suggest setting up a whole different route of installing Qt, which seems like overkill <https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-building.html> – this also seems like overkill if all I need is the ‘subpackage’ QtWebEngine

I’m sorry this is somewhat helpless on my part—I do these things far too rarely to get by sensibly…

Best, Simon