Re: [OT] dicemusic -- a common-lisp generator of lilypond scores

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: [OT] dicemusic -- a common-lisp generator of lilypond scores
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 03:50:56 -0700

On 2019-09-28 9:12 pm, Mark Probert wrote:
Hi, all.

While not of general interest, I thought some of you might find this
small project of mine amusing.  I was recently inspired by a YT video
to have a go at coding one of the late 18th C dice music games (the
"Mozart" Waltz generator Simrock published in 1793).  It was a fun
exercise and then I found out that the clever folk at opus-infinity.org
had trodden this ground before me... oh well. Still I give away the
source code :-)

Anyhow, this is one way of creating lilypond scores and I'd be grateful
if people had comments either on the lilypond idioms I've used (it is a
parallelMusic thing) or on my CL (I'm pretty new to that idiom as well).

Anyhow, as it currently is it generates 2xbar 3/8 waltzes in a late-18C
style. They are really quite cute.

Be aware the final measure of the first half of the waltz needs to be written as two alternatives. See the following output [1] from opus-infinity.org for reference.

[1]: https://opus-infinity.org/media/cache/composition_manager/62bbd39039d34e7aadbf84518bfe5063/702a8a1b140b83bb8355d35017c42c4e/lilypond_concat.png

This corrects the otherwise odd-sounding minor second intervals that appear in the left hand.

-- Aaron Hill