Re: tweaking the position of multi-voiced piano chords

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: tweaking the position of multi-voiced piano chords
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 16:16:58 +0200

> Hi all,
>
> In the snippet, below, I’m trying to tweak the position of the last
> chord. (In my real-world score, the spacing is really bad, because of
> lyrics above.)
>
> I can’t seem to find any way to move the whole column (X-offset,
> extra-offset, force-hshift, etc.).
> I can move (extra-offset) some individual items (NoteHead, Stem), but
> then not others (ledger lines, beams).
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Kieren.
>
> %%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
> \version "2.19.83"
> \language "english"
>
> \layout { line-width = 3\in ragged-right = ##f }
>
> <<
>   { \voiceOne <bf' d'' fs'' a''>4. <bf' d'' fs'' g''>16 <bf' d'' fs'' a''> }
> \\
>   \new Voice { \voiceTwo <bf d' fs' a'>4. <bf d' fs' g'>16 \tweak
> NoteColumn.force-hshift #-3 <bf d' fs' a'> }
>>>
> %%%  SNIPPET ENDS

Works fine here but it's a rather recent development version where
tweaking chords actually tweaks the notes inside.  If you want to have
this work with earlier versions, you need to tweak the particular note
that the NoteColumn grob happens to be created from.  I don't know which
one this would be.  The current code in the development version would
just tweak all notes so you'd actually reach the NoteColumn.  This will
be in 2.21.0 but not 2.20.

--
David Kastrup