Re: Slurs in FluidSynth

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Slurs in FluidSynth
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 23:15:53 +0200

Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

> On 9/14/2019 2:45 PM, Karlin High wrote:
>> On 9/14/2019 2:40 PM, Dan Eble wrote:
>>> getting FluidSynth to avoid attacking each note in a slur when
>>> reading from a LilyPond-produced MIDI
>>
>> Would choice of sound font affect this?
>
> Wait, sorry, I probably misunderstood. In this example...
>
> \version "2.19.83"
> \score {
>   { c'4( c'4) c'2 }
>   \layout { }
>   \midi { }
> }
>
> ...the MIDI sounds as { c'4 c'4 c'2 }
>
> But as performed, it would sound like { c'2 c'2 }

No, it wouldn't.  Are you confusing slurs and ties?

Here is an example showing _slurs_.  Are you telling me that the
many instances of two slurred A4 notes are to be sounded only once?
That would sound pretty awful, and this is a Bach urtext.

JPEG image

> If you're trying to get the MIDI to sound like the as-performed
> version, then I'd also be interested in that effect. Sometimes I've
> used a MIDI editor to fix things up that way.

If you want ties, write ties.  If you want slurs, write slurs.  It's as
simple as that.

--
David Kastrup