Re: Producing scores for visually impaired and blind people

From: Hwaen Ch'uqi
Subject: Re: Producing scores for visually impaired and blind people
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 16:16:20 -0400

Greetings Karlin,

Braille music does indeed exist, though significant variation in its
structure and even syntax persists despite attempts at
standardization. The main difference between Braille music and printed
music is that the former is not in any wise spatial. One benefit of
this is that stem directions need never be an issue, and, therefore,
voices in - for example, a piano or organ score - can be accumulated
with ease and clarity, so long as the hands can play them. But there
are certainly benefits to enjoying the spatial dimentions, especially
where a full score for an ensemble would be concerned.

Hwaen Ch'uqi