Re: Chapter 2.1 Vocal music of LPNR

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Chapter 2.1 Vocal music of LPNR
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 11:52:21 -0500

On Mon 26 Aug 2019 at 20:36:53 (+0200), Simon Albrecht wrote:
> Hi Jacques,
>
> this doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I’ve always found that
> manual alignment of lyrics is a huge pain to get working and thus
> never use it…

The only piece I've used them in was as an exercise in writing code
that would generate a correctly notated score containing repeats, but
would also generate correctly repeating MIDI output from the same code
merely by adding \unfoldRepeats. I started a thread about the problem:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-09/msg00499.html
but I don't remember how the thread evolved, if at all.

Suffice it to say, I don't make a habit of this, preferring to set the
score and the MIDI separately. Attached is the code I came up with.
To compile it properly, you'd need some library files. "Midi-satb.lily"
is the boilerplate code to produce MIDI "teach tapes" for each part.
The attached score used the unmangled source, with \unfoldRepeats
commented out, and the libraries included of course.

> On 26.08.19 17:39, Jacques Menu wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> >
> > The more I read this chapter, and the more I feel it is a kind of
> > imbroglio, mixing automatic and manual alignment of lyrics to the voice.
> >
> > Do you also feel this would merit a rewrite?

(I'd have to read it in its new incarnation.)

Cheers,
David.