Re: Using \lyricsto for small variation in repeats to match lyrics

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Using \lyricsto for small variation in repeats to match lyrics
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 18:12:50 -0700

On 2019-08-26 3:34 pm, Michael Wagner wrote:
When I am entering music into lilypond, I come across situations where
a measure or two of a repeated bit of music has a slight melodic
variation and I wold like to associate the appropriate lyrics with
that measure.
[ . . . ]
I might be able to a align the lyrics with the appropriate voice using
skips, etc., but it seems as though using \lyricsto would be more
elegant.
The examples in the manual that use \lyricsto seem to be assigning the
equivalent of a whole verse to a voice. Can I align a part of a verse
to a voice?

As far as I can tell, \lyricsto does not have a direct way to specify a limited scope, since you only get to provide the name of the context. To restrict alignment to only a particular subset of notes within a Voice, you would need to explicitly separate out those notes into their own named context to use with \lyricsto.

LilyPond provides a NullVoice context that makes it easy to include such an extraction of notes to be used just for timing but not display. I use this feature quite a bit, mainly because I also use \partcombine which is not compatible with \lyricsto; but that is another story.

-- Aaron Hill