Re: Suppress Volta Starting Repeat

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Suppress Volta Starting Repeat
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 22:12:21 +0200

Hi Keith,

On 26.08.19 21:28, keith Luke wrote:
I am using LilyPond 2.18.2

  \set Score.voltaSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 4/4)
  \repeat volta 2 { g1 ~ }
  \alternative {
    {
      g4 r8 g8 d'4 c4 ~
    }
    {{ g2 \repeatTie r2 }}

That is not a complete, compilable, minimal example. See <http://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html>. This is one:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2"

\relative {
  g'1
  \repeat volta 2 { g~ }
  \alternative {
    { g\laissezVibrer }
    { g\repeatTie }

I would like to suppress the repeat sign in the measure preceding the first ending.

LilyPond is designed to work with an input file that accurately represents the _meaning_ of the music you are typesetting. There are cases where one has to bend that link, but here I have to ask: why do you want to suppress the repeat sign, if you could just have the \repeat encompass the section of music that’s actually going to be repeated?

Best, Simon