Re: Choral scores conventions question

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Choral scores conventions question
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 11:33:40 +0200

Hi Jacques,

I’ve created this score from a psalms book, both attached, with explicit,
sometimes artificial, time signatures and rests for the time being.

What is the usual way to setup such a choral, in terms of compound time
signatures, partials, measure 13 spanning over a line break, minimizing the
number of rests such as measure 4, the display of rests at measure 8, and the
like?

I would always recommend to keep everything as close as possible to the actual style of writing employed by composers like Schein. The original 1627 printing looks as follows:

https://imgur.com/a/wZMsAq3
https://imgur.com/a/pcCDMoV

Of course, today we would prefer using an actual score in 2 or 4 staves, but I'd strongly argue against pretending there is an actual alternating metre, actual measures and so on.

I didn't typeset exactly this tune, but here is an example from Osiander's collection that I engraved some time ago:

https://imgur.com/a/SKoDwJB

Best
Lukas