Re: LilyPond and FontForge

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: LilyPond and FontForge
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 07:09:55 +0200 (CEST)

> I would really appreciate someone explaining how to generate these
> tables using FontForge. thanks!

(0) Please read `mf/README'.  For better readability of log files
    created by METAFONT I suggest that you (temporarily) set

      max_print_line=1000

    in your environment.

(1) A run of `mf' (or `mf2pt1') as described in `mf/README' creates a
    `*.log' file that contains lines like

      @{group@:rests@}
      @{char@:breve rest@:39@:0@:2.3805@:0@:3.9675@:2.3805@:0@:M1@}
      @{puorg@:rests@}

    The glyph name of `breve rest' is then `rests.M1'.

(2) The script `mf-to-table.py' converts the info in the `*.log' file
    into the files `*.otf-gtable', `*.lisp', and `*.enc'.  A rule in
    `mf/GNUmakefile' concatenates the `*.lisp' files into
    `*.otf-table'.

(3) The script `gen-emmentaler-scripts' creates a FontForge script
    `*.genpe' that merges the Feta and Parmesan fonts into an
    Emmentaler font.  It also creates a text file `*.subfonts'.  The
    files `*.otf-table', `*.otf-gtable', and `*.subfonts' are then
    embedded verbatim as SFNT tables `LILC', `LILY', and `LILF',
    respectively.

If you are going to modify metrics directly in FontForge, you have to
manually adjust the corresponding values in the `LIL*' SFNT files.

    Werner