Re: slurs and ties to end of bar

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: slurs and ties to end of bar
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 14:15:11 +0200 (CEST)

>> I have to typeset a bunch of snippets that contain ties and slurs
>> either from a (not typeset) bar at the left or to a bar to the
>> right (see attached example).  What is the recommended way to do
>> that gracefully?
>
> I'm still not sure what you're after and/or the wished workflow.

See below.

> Nevertheless below some sketch, which may be helpful (or not ...)
> Be aware, it's a _sketch_, no security implemented...
>
> {
>   \omit Staff.Clef
>   \omit Staff.TimeSignature
>   \override Slur.after-line-breaking =
>   #(lambda (grob)
>     (let* ((lb (ly:spanner-bound grob LEFT))
>            (lb-pc (ly:item-get-column lb))
>            (lb-pc-ln (ly:grob-object lb-pc 'left-neighbor))
>            (rb (ly:spanner-bound grob RIGHT))
>            (rb-pc (ly:item-get-column rb))
>            (rb-pc-rn (ly:grob-object rb-pc 'right-neighbor)))
>      (ly:spanner-set-bound! grob LEFT lb-pc-ln)
>      (ly:spanner-set-bound! grob RIGHT rb-pc-rn)))
>
>   b4( b b b)
> }

Very nice!  This is certainly a first step, thanks.

Please have a look at the attached image.  Let's assume that I want to
reproduce just the middle bar, with all the correct slurs and ties.
Wouldn't it be nice if I could enter, say, the last quarter of the bar
before and the first quarter of the bar after to produce the correct
slurs and ties, instead of fiddling with slur and tie parameters?

If there is another simple solution I would be glad to know how to do
it!

    Werner

PNG image