formatting of elided syllable in lyrics

From: Graham King
Subject: formatting of elided syllable in lyrics
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 17:19:24 +0100

Where two syllables are set to the same note, is there a way to apply
formatting to the second?  I hope I've not missed something obvious in the NR
or the Snippets Repository.

In the following example, "eleison" is editorial and should be italicised.  The
upper line of lyrics has the correct spacing but not the desired italics:

\version "2.19.82"

ital = \override LyricText.font-shape = #'italic
italx = \revert LyricText.font-shape

{ c'1 c' d' c' }
\addlyrics { ky -- rie_e -- lei -- son }
\addlyrics { ky -- rie_ \ital e -- lei -- son \italx }