Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 198, Issue 101

From: Darek Cidlinský
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 198, Issue 101
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 16:49:41 +0200

> Message: 4
> From: Yuchuan LIU <address@hidden>
> Subject: Lilypond: The notes on the staff don't match with notes on
>       the guitar      tab
>
> Hi there,

Hello,

> I only use Lilypond for 2 days. But I encountered an issue - the notes on
> the staff don't match with those on the guitar tab.
>
> To illustrate this issue, please see the screenshot below. It is generated
> by my
> codes. For example, in the red box, the note C on the staff should
> correspond to the 3 in red on the tab. But lilypond gives me 1 on the tab
> instead. Does anyone one know how to solve this? My lilypond version
> is 2.18.2. Also, my code is below.

Lilypond gets it right. The problem is that the guitar is written in
treble clef, but an octave higher than it actually sounds. (It's the
same practice as with the tenor voice, for instance.) And another
problem is that most people don't bother to show this in any way in the
scores, so there can be some confusion over it.

Just use \clef "treble_8" (or \clef "G_8") instead of \clef "treble".
Lilypond will put a small "8" under the clef (which is the good way to
notate this) and everything will be OK.

D.