Re: Finetuning TextSpanner beginning and end positions?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Finetuning TextSpanner beginning and end positions?
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 11:53:36 +0200

Am Di., 7. Mai 2019 um 01:53 Uhr schrieb Stefano Troncaro
<address@hidden>:

> Hi Harm, honestly because I generally understand "padding" as the amount of
> whitespace that should be reserved between objects.

Well, that's exactly what happens here.
bound-details.right.padding is the amount of white-space between the
end of the TextSpanner and its right-bound.
Thus the negative value, as opposed to your code going for 'X.
Admittedly, as opposed to other Grob.padding settings no object is
moved, instead the TextSpanner itself changes its appearance.

I _guess_ (without having researched) it's also due to historical reasons:
Going for 'shorten-pair for TextSpanner would have needed additional
code to limit it to certain parts of a broken spanner, whereas
bound-details.left/right/left-broken/right-broken.padding
offers the user a direct method to set whats wished for each end of a
broken TextSpanner.
Thus, replacing the values of
bound-details.left/right/left-broken/right-broken.padding by those
from shorten-pair is not that straight-forward.
Probably the name of the padding-_sub_-property is unfortunate.
Though, I think this ship sailed long time ago.

Btw
\override TextSpanner.padding = 10
_moves_ the TextSpanner, nothing else, as everyone would expect.

Cheers,
  Harm