Re: LilyPond can't engrave 16 pages of music

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: LilyPond can't engrave 16 pages of music
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2018 16:58:12 +0100

Am Sa., 22. Dez. 2018 um 12:10 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Am Sa., 22. Dez. 2018 um 02:46 Uhr schrieb Ben <address@hidden>:
> >> Did you experience the same wait times?
> >
> > It lasted ~40minutes (I didn't observed the time exactly)
> >
> > I think:
> > most of the time is spend in calculating spacing/line-/page-breaks.
>
> Recently Werner committed a few fixes of typos with possibly ugly
> consequences in the area of page breaking, so it might be worthwhile
> crosschecking with current master.

I've redone testings with the OP's original code, i.e.

    {
      \time 4/4
      \repeat unfold 1000 { c4 d e f } % TEN PAGES of music
      \repeat unfold 1000 { f1 } % + SIX MORE PAGES of music
      \repeat unfold 1000 { c4 d e f } % BUT WHEN ADDING MORE PAGES, fail NOW
    }

Using 2.19.82 (from the installer) and 2.21.0 out of 915799cad7
musicexp.py: Use python 2.4 syntax.

Always restarting the computer after each test.

For 2.19.82 it's finished after 28m4,740s
For 2.21.0 after 24m50,214s

Memory-usage seems to be similar.
I didn't oberve a difference in the final pdfs

Cheers,
  Harm