Re: synchronization of feathered beams

From: Reggie
Subject: Re: synchronization of feathered beams
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 09:50:07 -0700 (MST)

Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> Meanwhile I think you didn't understand that feathered beams, done with
> \override Beam.grow-direction = #RIGHT
> and
> \featherDurations
> are _independant_ from each other. See:
>
> \version "2.19.82"
>
> {
>   r2..
>   \featherDurations #(ly:make-moment 1 2)
>   { c''32[ 32 32 32 32 32 32 32] } r2..
> }
>
> The old message you quoted previously, explains already that
> \featherDurations changes the durations of the notes.
> With those changed durations LilyPonds spacing engine may insert
> different spacings between those notes.
> Ofcourse things like barchecks fail if applied to the _unchanged_ notes.
>
> So it seems to me your problem has _nothing_ to do with feathered
> Beams but with featherDurations and it's consequences.
>
> Probably don't use featherDurations at all, but use a custom function
> to space the note-columns, only for the visible output, without
> changing their durations (midi would not reflect any
> accelerando/rallentando then ofcourse).
>

> Cheers,
>   Harm

Harm I don't use MIDI so a custom function could work great yes for visual
spacing. But please bear with me on this for a second. If the durations
command already spaces them out then why doesn't this work *every* time? I
understand both commands are independent yes thank you. But I presumed that
I needed durations to space out the notes correctly like Gould and
publishing houses all over do.

Why would I need a custom function to do what featherdurations does if I'm
misunderrstanding?
I wouldn't even know how to make this function besides. Sorry.