Re: Fatal error compiling large project (Win10/2.19.82)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Fatal error compiling large project (Win10/2.19.82)
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 12:43:56 +0100

Am 19. Dezember 2018 11:53:26 MEZ schrieb Aaron Hill <address@hidden>:
>On 2018-12-19 2:17 am, Michael Gerdau wrote:
>>> Not really.
>>> What I *can* say is this:
>>>
>>>   * LilyPond installations are registered in Frescobaldi by pointing

>>>     their executable.
>>>   * Frescobaldi calculates a path relative to that executable and
>adds
>>>     that to the library path in the LilyPond process's environment
>>>
>>> I have no idea how invoking external scripts works with the WSL, so
>>> can't comment any further, but as said, Frescobaldi is only looking
>>> for
>>> an absolute path to the executable.
>>
>> I seriously doubt that Frescobaldi could run WSL lilypond w/o being
>> run itself from inside WSL.
>
>Regarding the last comment, that is a possibility.  Microsoft
>officially
>does not support GUI applications from WSL; however, there are several
>servers that can run on Windows.  Folks online have reported that you
>can set up X on WSL and have it connect to the Windows-hosted server.
>The rest is the usual Magicâ„¢.
>
>But if Frescobaldi needs to have a path to the LilyPond installation,
>then it can never be made to work with WSL.  There is no* path to the
>WSL file system that a Windows program can access.  Instead, it is the
>Windows file system that is mounted so that Linux programs can
>read/write to it from the WSL environment.  This is the only supported
>method for data transfer.

How does one launch Linux programs then? Is that some specific "WSL Shell" that
you start and then have a bash or something? And this does mean theWSL can only
be used to do stuff on the Linux command line, no way to use Linux commands
triggered from Windows applications?

Is there something like a $PATH to look for Linux commands? Then it might be
possible to create an invocation from Frescobaldi. I wasn't clear about it: the
default in Frescobaldi is to simply call "lilypond" if no specific path is
given, and we can of course do anything that can be done in the given set-up.

Urs