Re: Comparison of Musescore, Sibelius and Dorico -- would like to add Li

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Comparison of Musescore, Sibelius and Dorico -- would like to add Lilypond
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:12:30 -0700

Hi, David!

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 3:51 PM David Bellows <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ok, everyone. I have finally gotten around to adding data about LilyPond

Excellent work and thank you!

My pleasure ;-)

Lilypond does look good here. I am curious, what are forked stems? You
have that as a "no" for Lilypond.

Forked stems (or splayed stems, as Harm referred to them) can be necessary when there are two notes that share the same staff line or space, but are not the same pitch (e.g., <g gis>) A split stem separates the two noteheads with their respective accidentals so they each can be distinguished clearly. They aren't super common and can often be avoided by using a different enharmonic spelling, but sometimes they can't be avoided and require this. LilyPond doesn't handle this situation natively (yet) and it requires a nice workaround, such as the one Harm presented.

Also, I see you used the latest unstable version of Lilypond, did that
make much of a difference?

Not really. The line items are pretty standard things, most of which have been supported for a long time now. I don't suspect 2.18.2 to score much differently than 2.19.82, except for only a few items like supporting alternate music fonts, which was introduced in 2.19.12.

Best,
Abraham