Re: partcombine with 3-4 voices, flags not merged

From: Eby Mani
Subject: Re: partcombine with 3-4 voices, flags not merged
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 05:00:55 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Kieren,

> I still don’t understand why you don’t use chords…

Some music contain ties/slurs from voiceOne that extend to another voice in the
next bar, e.g. second bar in the attached example.
When you are planning to prepare different instrumentation, using chords while
typesetting is a big no no for me. e.g preparing strings arrangement from a
piano/organ score or vice versa. I find it much easier to avoid <chords>.

When preparing piano/organ only scores, i use <chords>, but still break entires
into rhA, rhB, hope this clarifies. Thanks,

eby

 Hi Eby,

 > Too bad \partcombine is limited to two
 voices after all these years.

 As they say: Patches are enthusiastically
 accepted.  =)

 Following is the excerpt from the file i'm working on
 and the output with & without transparent flag and beam.

 I still don’t understand
 why you don’t use chords… Especially given the number of
 repetitions, this kind of coding is dead simple with
 chords:

 RH = {
   <cs' fs'>8 8 <cs'
 e'>8 8 8 8
 }

 LH = {
   <cs gs>8 8 8 8
 8 8
 }

 etc.

 I don’t
 see the benefit of partcombine, even if it *did* accept more
 than two voices.

 Cheers,
 Kieren.

 Kieren MacMillan, composer