Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation

From: Ben
Subject: Re: Lutoslawski-style box notation
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 17:52:02 -0400

On 11/3/2018 5:11 PM, Thomas Morley wrote:
Am Sa., 3. Nov. 2018 um 21:36 Uhr schrieb Ben <address@hidden>:
On 11/3/2018 4:25 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 3:21 PM Ben <address@hidden> wrote:

On 11/3/2018 4:16 PM, David Nalesnik wrote:

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 2:57 PM Ben <address@hidden> wrote:

On 11/3/2018 2:54 PM, address@hidden wrote:

Just wondered if anyone has a working solution to creating Lutoslawski-style box repeats such as this one: https://goo.gl/images/TYKdWt

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

For a long while I was using the frameengraver21 but I remember encountering a bug and never being able to move past it since. I'm not sure what is available recently, but I am curious as well :) I would use it quite often if there was a boxed notation module.

The solution to this error has come up several times on the list.
Searching "must be type `list'" returns

https://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg117642.html

You can also find the FrameEngraver code in that thread.

Best,
David

Thank you David! Not sure how I missed that...

Easy enough--the archives are not a good place to version-control
code!  I think I finally need to put this stuff up on GitHub so
there's an easy place to find the "latest" version (which I will need
search the list archives to discover...)

David

David,

Sorry to bother but I'm afraid I can't get it to work (and I didn't find it on GitHub btw)

I found the section of the file to modify

#(define my-grob-descriptions '())

#(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
   (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
          (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
          (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? list?)

...but replacing with the code from the archive still isn't working :(

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% ADD NEW GROB DEFINITIONS %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

#(define (add-grob-definition grob-name grob-entry)
   (let* ((meta-entry   (assoc-get 'meta grob-entry))
          (class        (assoc-get 'class meta-entry))
          (ifaces-entry (assoc-get 'interfaces meta-entry)))
     (set-object-property! grob-name 'translation-type? ly:grob-properties?) ;;
NB!!
Additionally, at CREATE NEW EVENT CLASSES replace with:

#(define-event-class 'frame-event 'span-event)
#(define-event-class 'frame-extender-event 'span-event)

The modified file's attached. Works for me.

Cheers,
  Harm

Hmmm, I am getting closer here. I was using the previous frameEngraver25 but now I've try combining them into one file for testing. I took the file Harm just shared here, with the example code from frameEngraver25 itself - and I attached the combined file to this email. Do you know why the compressing over-full page error is occurring?

I've made no modifications myself, just used the frameEngraver25 example code + Harm's file from the previous email with the new event classes, etc.

Thank you so much!