Re: dynamics and pedal as separate "voices"

From: Robert Blackstone
Subject: Re: dynamics and pedal as separate "voices"
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2018 18:15:34 +0100

Hi Kieren,

Many thanks for your advice.
This is a new LilyPond-terrain for me and It will certainly take me some time to implement it.

Best regards,
Robert Blackstone

On 2 Nov 2018, at 14:24 , Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Robert,

For my pianoscores I use a "dynamics voice" (\new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics) and a "pedal voice" (\new Dynamics = "pedal" \pedal).

An excellent design choice!

On the whole they work perfectly but compared to dynamic marks attached to notes I find their possiblities a bit limited. The same goes for the pedal marks.

Really? I’ve never run into any limitations versus "embedding" the pedal markings (except of course the obvious extra typing required)…?

As for the dynamics I would like to use it also for other expressive “instructions” like “p dolce” but I have no idea how to accomplish this in \new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics.

There are many different ways to do this, and many functions (of varying complexity and flexibility) to help make the job easier — you can search the usual locations (official docs, lists, LSR) for examples, especially Janek’s function (which Harm later improved).

As for the pedal marks I would like to use the “mixed” style and occasionally the “bracket” -style but again I have no idea how I can make “\new Dynamics = "pedal" \pedal” do it.

Same as you would in any context: set the appropriate parameter!  =)

In case it’s helpful: I have a PianoStaff.ily include file, in which I define a bunch of custom contexts including one for pedalling:

 \context {
   \name PianoPedals
   \type "Engraver_group"
   \alias Staff
   \consists "Text_engraver"
   \consists "Piano_pedal_engraver"
   \consists "Piano_pedal_align_engraver"
   \consists "Axis_group_engraver"
   pedalSustainStrings = #'("Ped." "*Ped." "*")
   pedalSustainStyle = #'mixed
   pedalSostenutoStrings = #'("Sost. Ped." "*Sost. Ped." "*")
   pedalSostenutoStyle = #'mixed
   pedalUnaCordaStrings = #'("una corda" "" "tre corde")
   pedalUnaCordaStyle = #'text
   \override SustainPedal.X-offset = #-0.25
   \override SustainPedal.extra-offset = #'(0 . -0.05)
   \override VerticalAxisGroup.staff-affinity = #UP
   \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-relatedstaff-spacing =
     #'((basic-distance . 2) (minimum-distance . 1.5) (padding . 1) (stretchability . 0))
   \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-unrelatedstaff-spacing =
       #'((basic-distance . 8) (minimum-distance . 4) (padding . 4) (stretchability . 10))
   \override VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-nonstaff-spacing.padding = #1
 }

Then I use

  \new PianoPedals \mypedalstuff

and everything works "automagically". You might consider defining your own custom pedal context, to make your engraving life easier!

Hope that helps,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info