Re: \RemoveEmptyStaves not removing first line

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: \RemoveEmptyStaves not removing first line
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 13:48:42 +0100

Where would you expect the Ambitus marker to show up if you do not
want the staff to appear in the first system?
First entry?  I am not sure that the interfaces the Ambitus_engraver
exercises would allow to make that difference, but if they did, this
would be a reasonable expectation.  Though probably rather hard to
implement, given how late in the typesetting stage "empty" staves get
pruned.

Yes, that's probably the only sufficiently reasonable place to expect it.

But: It seems to me that the whole point (or, at least, the most important application) of the Ambitus indication is to enable users of the score to judge the tessitura "at first glance" (even though, of course, for a reliable judgement one would have to look at the actual music in more detail). This application is somewhat hindered if one has to look for the right system containing the first entry of a voice first.

So, to be honest, I'm not sure whether trying to make the Ambitus_engraver compatible with hiding empty staves would be worth the effort, especially if (as you say) that effort would be large.

Best
Lukas