Re: put footnote in a variable

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: put footnote in a variable
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 11:34:31 +0100

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 11:12, Aaron Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2018-11-01 2:59 am, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
> Ahem.... I found another issue Aaron.
>
> Suppose you have a variable containing the music and the reference to
> your
> footnote code. Something like this:
>
> var = {a b c d \myfootnote e f g a}
>

> If you 'use' the variable multiple time in your score you probably
> don't
> want to display the footnote multiple times. So if you write
>
> { \var \var \var }
>

> you probably want just one footnote.
>
> So I tried to write
>
> var = {a b c d \tag #'footnotetag {} e f g a}
>

> and then...
>
> {\pushToTag #'footnotetag \myfootnote \var \var \var}
>

> but this does not compile.
> Does exists a simple workaround to make it working? (I made different
> experiments without success). If there is no simple solution, no
> problem,
> don't waste your time. Consider this just a curiosity. Thanks a lot,
> gianmaria

To clarify, when you use { \var \var \var }, is it your intention that
you want the footnote to be shared amongst the multiple instantiations?

If that is the case, then there is an edge case that would need to be
addressed too.  Imagine if \var occurs on multiple pages.  Each one
would ideally need a footnote on its own page, but if two (or more)
instances of \var occur on the same page, then you would ideally want
them to be able to share.

Sure, this is the first thing that came to mind. And yes, probably it would be nice to be able to automatically manage the two situations. But I didn't want to go so far; that's why I wanted to see if it existed a reasonable solution with the tools I know (tag).

Thank you Aaron!
g.