Bar number position and text (especially for anacruses)

From: Stephen Cummings
Subject: Bar number position and text (especially for anacruses)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 08:07:43 -0700

With code below as reference, please help me with:

1. Vertical alignment/positioning of  bar numbers. In the output the parenthetical bar number for the anacrusis is higher than the remaining bar numbers.

    a. How can I lower it, and how can I raise the others? Are there commands that would automatically ensure that all are at the same vertical position?

    b. Not as important: is there a way to raise/lower any given bar number independently?

2.  Full control over horizontal alignment of bar numbers. I (think I) want the bar number for the anacrusis to appear just right of the clef. I found commands that change the object its aligned to, but none of those positions were satisfactory. How can move it horizontally exactly where I want it? Not as important: Is the procedure different for other individual bar numbers?

3.  Changing bar number text. Can I change the text for the anacrusis bar number to something other than "(1)"? Like "0" or "pickup"? Not as important: Is that also possible for any arbitrary bar number?

I can't find instructions on how to include or post example output so I've taken a chance and embedded an image of the output below after the code.

Thank you,

Steve Cummings

Code:

%-----------------------------------

% please note that this example "omits" the SystemStartBar, in case part of the solution to #2 involves choosing an object to which to align the bar number to.

\version "2.19.48"

\score {
  \new StaffGroup
<<
    \new staff {
      \time 2/4
      \bar ""
      \partial 8
        r8               |   %  0
        a'8 r8 r4        |   %  1
        b'8 c'8 r4       |   %  2
    }

    \new staff {
      \time 2/4
      \bar ""
      \partial 8
        b'8              |   %  0
        r4 e'8 d'8       |   %  1
        r4 r8 g'8        |   %  2
    }

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
      \omit SystemStartBar
        \override BarNumber.break-visibility = ##(#f #t #t4f/)
        \override BarNumber.self-alignment-X = #LEFT
        \override BarNumber #'break-align-symbols = #'(staff-bar clef) % #'(left-edge)
        \override BarNumber.font-size = #0.35
        barNumberVisibility = #all-bar-numbers-visible