Re: OT: typewriter LaTeX package

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: OT: typewriter LaTeX package
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:11:20 -0600

On Fri 16 Feb 2018 at 12:01:10 (-0600), address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2018, Shane Brandes wrote:
> > Got it to work. Figured out you can change to what ever font you want
> > in the sty file. Lessening the the grayscale variability and some of
> > the other variables with the use of a historical font yields really
> > convincing period style documents. This is absolutely great.
>
> Really real typewritten documents wouldn't have every instance of every
> letter shifted independently at random as this package does, though.
> Instead, individual typewriters would have unique but systematic
> distortions.  Maybe on my typewriter, each "e" would be a little lower
> than the baseline and each "T" would be tiled three degrees; and on your
> typewriter it would be some other distinctive pattern.  These kinds of
> things were important in forensic analysis as a way of identifying which
> typewriter was used to produce a document.

And when you apply these changes to your font, don't forget to add
realism by filling the e's counter¹ with a fabric-like grey mimicing
the accumulated fluff off the ribbon. Old typewriters could wear
enough to make their fullstops look like tiny circles.

¹ and, randomly, other small counters like a, g, %.

Cheers,
David.