Re: OT: typewriter LaTeX package

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: OT: typewriter LaTeX package
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:49:07 -0700 (MST)

Hugh Myers wrote
> I had a good deal of correspondence with folks across the pond and never
> thought twice about the double space post-sentence.

Your're certainly right, but I strongly suspect that all this correspondence
was in English.

Let me assure you that Urs is right: in Germany, without any doubt, there is
no double space.
And, as you surely know, we Germans are famous for our over-regulation:
There even is a common DIN (German Institute for Standardization) standard:

DIN 5008 Regeln für Maschinenschreiben (Typewriting standards)

It says that there is only ONE space after punctuation marks according to
German standards.
The Duden, a kind of German Bible of orthography containing the official
rules, traditionally contains a chapter about typewriting---stating there is
one space only after the end of a sentence.

The same holds true for France, too, by the way (hence the term "French
spacing").

Finally Associated Press Stylebook (!): "Use a single space after a period
at the end of a sentence."

Quintessence:
There are far more languages than American English in the world and,
consequently, there has always been a certain variety of typographic
conventions.

All the best,
Torsten