Re: How to layout in unison and part music score?

From: DJF
Subject: Re: How to layout in unison and part music score?
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 11:31:37 -0500

On Feb 3, 2018, at 6:27 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> This would be what I need :) Unfortunately, I'm too dumb. Sorry, I'm a
> c, c++, c#, python, ruby, latex  and many other - developer, but the
> lilypond syntax manages to confuse me every time. I'm happy to set
> simple scores with lilypond and I really like it - but often, I just
> don't get it.
>
> Could you please detail your pointer to the docs? An example would
> really be helpfull!

Markus,

I've made various choral scores like this, but it took quite awhile to get to
the point of feeling somewhat comfortable about it. This is why I've enclosed
an example for you. It's not intended to be definitive (I'm hard an expert at
this yet) but rather a practical example that has worked for me in the past.
It’s but one way of several that could be used to accomplish the task. It uses
a unison voice staff in addition to the TTB voices, though you could also
combine the unison voice with the first tenor part. It really all depends on
how you want the score to look. Until such time as Kieren makes a demo/tutorial
(which would be fantastic, I'm sure, and most welcome), I hope this helps to
move you toward your goal.

—
Dan

\version "2.19.80"

global = {
  \time 4/4
  \key f \major
}

unisonVoice = \relative c' {
    \global
    \clef "treble_8"
    \repeat unfold 10 { a2 f }
    R1*5
    \repeat unfold 10 { a2 f }
    \bar "|."
}

verseUnisonVoice = \lyricmode {
  hi there hi there hi there hi there hi there
  hi there hi there hi there hi there hi there
  sing now sing now sing now sing now sing now
  sing now sing now sing now sing now sing now
}

tenorOne = \relative c' {
  \global
  \clef "treble_8"
  R1*10
  \repeat unfold 5 { bes2 g }
  R1*10
}

verseTenorOne = \lyricmode {
  bye now bye now bye now bye now bye now
}

tenorTwo = \relative c' {
  \global
  \clef "treble_8"
  R1*10
  \repeat unfold 5 { g2 e }
  R1*10
}

verseTenorTwo = \lyricmode {
  bye now bye now bye now bye now bye now
}

bassOne = \relative c {
  \global
  \clef bass
  R1*10
  \repeat unfold 5 { e2 c }
  R1*10
}

verseBassOne = \lyricmode {
  bye now bye now bye now bye now bye now
}

\layout {
  \context {
      \Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves
      \override VerticalAxisGroup.remove-first = ##t
      \override VerticalAxisGroup.remove-empty = ##t

\score {
  <<
    \new ChoirStaff
    <<
       % enable choir bracket to show even on single staff
       \override ChoirStaff.SystemStartBracket.collapse-height = #4

        \new Staff \with { instrumentName = "Voices" } { \unisonVoice }
\addlyrics { \verseUnisonVoice }
        \new Staff { \tenorOne } \addlyrics { \verseTenorOne }
        \new Staff { \tenorTwo } \addlyrics { \verseTenorTwo }
        \new Staff { \bassOne } \addlyrics { \verseBassOne }