Re: Left-handed fretboard?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Left-handed fretboard?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 20:56:12 +0100

> On 1/18/18, 6:30 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Malte Meyn <address@hidden> writes:
>
>     > Am 18.01.2018 um 14:09 schrieb Torsten Hämmerle:
>     >> Ah, yes, when in landscape mode, setting a negative string-distance
> makes the
>     >> whole diagram flip below the baseline.
>     >>
>     >> Oh dear, another effect (in general):
>     >> capo numbers and other objects that should be placed in the margin of
> the
>     >> diagram.
>     >> When setting a negative string-distance, they flip inside the diagram.
>     >>
>     >> Probably we should extend issue 5264 to all negative string-number
> problems.
>     >
>     > Maybe it would be better not to support negative string-distance but
>     > add a property that inverts the string order (or maybe extend the
>     > orientation property).
>
>     Somebody's bound to use that expedient anyway and the
>     almost-but-not-quite results will be seen as LilyPond's fault.
>
> I agree with the idea of properly supporting negative string-distance, but I
> don't think that using a negative string-distance is the best way to build
> left-hand fret diagrams.

Meanwhile I think supporting negative string-distance is a bad idea,
because too many detail-problems need adjustments. And using negative
string-distance was not intended as I introduced it. I should have
always gone for (abs ...). But this could be corrected...

Now I attached a concurrent patch at the tracker, ordering strings and
frets correctly. We do so already for 'landscape and
'opposing-landscape why not for left-handed fret-diagrams.

> I think we should have some property that explicitly says the diagram is a
> left-handed diagram.

The functionality of my patch relies on the new details-subproperty
'left-handed, supposed to be a boolean.

> And, I believe that we should have some sort of display on the left-hand
> diagram indicating it's a left-hand diagram.  But I don't know what that
> should be.

I can't imagine anything not disturbing. It should rather be the duty
of the type-setter to drop a note somewhere that left-handed
fret-diagrams are used. But I don't think it should be part of the
fret-diagram.

Cheers,
  Harm