Re: Left-handed fretboard?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Left-handed fretboard?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 16:11:35 +0000

On 1/18/18, 6:30 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

    Malte Meyn <address@hidden> writes:

    > Am 18.01.2018 um 14:09 schrieb Torsten Hämmerle:
    >> Ah, yes, when in landscape mode, setting a negative string-distance
makes the
    >> whole diagram flip below the baseline.
    >>
    >> Oh dear, another effect (in general):
    >> capo numbers and other objects that should be placed in the margin of the
    >> diagram.
    >> When setting a negative string-distance, they flip inside the diagram.
    >>
    >> Probably we should extend issue 5264 to all negative string-number
problems.

    > Maybe it would be better not to support negative string-distance but
    > add a property that inverts the string order (or maybe extend the
    > orientation property).

    Somebody's bound to use that expedient anyway and the
    almost-but-not-quite results will be seen as LilyPond's fault.

I agree with the idea of properly supporting negative string-distance, but I
don't think that using a negative string-distance is the best way to build
left-hand fret diagrams.

I think we should have some property that explicitly says the diagram is a
left-handed diagram.

And, I believe that we should have some sort of display on the left-hand
diagram indicating it's a left-hand diagram.  But I don't know what that should
be.

Thanks,

Carl